Results tagged ‘ olympics ’
It is very hard to believe 2014 is almost over! So much to be thankful for from a personal and professional viewpoint. I can honestly say that 2014 was an amazing year on a lot of levels in the baseball world.
This year I traveled more than others … logging a couple hundred days, to 13 different countries. a few hundred thousand miles. Highlights of the 2014 year regarding sports and stuff would be:
* MLB Sydney Opener in Australia. What a great project working with some awesome people in Australia!
* Japan Samurai All Star series. Working with our friends in Japan on 5 stadiums in 10 days
* Toronto 2015 test event games in Ajax. Planning for the games next summer at a cool sport complex where baseball and softball are side by side.
* SportsField maintenance clinics in Korea, Taiwan, Canada, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Holland.
* Cuba relations warming with the USA sounds promising.
* Kansas City royals in the World Series were exciting to watch. Especially happy for Trevor and his crew
* Guadalajara got a new ballpark out of a track and field venue.
* Commissioner Selig officially stepped down. What a tenure! Rob Manfred was a great replacement choice and a guy who really likes international game development
* We heard some promising news from baseball’s international elite folks at WBSC about the high probability of baseball and softball getting back in the Olympic games by 2020.
* We celebrated the 10 year anniversary of the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics.
* The company I work for Brickman merged with their arch rival valleycrest. A new name was revealed this month. Brightview which sounds really cool. We are better together for sure!
After close to 40 years in this industry the years seem to be going faster. I guess that’s a good thing. 2014 was also a year of troubled times for many people and countries. We are a people living on one planet and it’s obvious we have a lot of work to do make it a better place for our children to live but I’m sure we will figure it out. Just like a baseball…. it takes teamwork and prayer.
Made alot of friends this year in different countries spreading the word about the STMA.. A major thanks to our brickman crew and subs who helped out all year. couldn’t have done it without you!
Looking into the crystal Base-ball 2015 looks to be similar in travel and potential events. Wishing each of you a prosperous, safe and wonderful 2015! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
The 2004 Olympic baseball stadium in Athens is currently not a baseball venue but a soccer venue. I went by in late 2012 and it looked ok. At least they are using it for a sport! See a lot of articles lately saying all the venues are falling apart or abandoned.
There is only one “main” olympic stadium still being used for baseball which is in barcelona host of the 1992 games. The 1996 olympic stadium was Fulton county stadium which was torn down,the 2000 olympic main stadium in Sydney was a showground for cattle and was only a temporary venue for the games. However west of Sydney is the 2nd olympic venue and it has been resurrected by mlb and is used in the abl league. The 2008 wukesong baseball olympic stadium in beijing and both Practice fields were reduced to rubble shortly after the games. So the Olympic baseball stadium in Athens below is still there. Maybe someday it will see a baseball game again.